Tuesday, July 5, 2011

NY to UT

I had a CRAZY week last week. Let me tell you about it:
My sister Jenny that lived in New York was planning on moving out here to Utah, she and her husband had planned on starting their cross-country drive on Saturday, June 25th, only due to an accident, my sister's husband Brett needed to stay in NY for a few more days.  Well this meant that my poor sister and her 4 cute little kids were going to be stuck in an empty house for almost a week because everything had already been packed in the moving truck.  Well after one day of that she decided that wasn't going to work so we had this brilliant idea that I should fly out to NY on Sunday and she and I and her kids could make the drive together.  So that is what we did!  It was seriously on such a whim that I just kept on telling Brad that I couldn't believe I was really doing this!  But you better believe that I did it!  I bought my ticket about 2:00 on saturday afternoon and Brad was driving me to the airport by 11:00 sunday morning!  Talk about CRAZY!So I arrived in NY at 1:00 on monday morning and Jen and I had the van packed and we were ready to go by 11:00 that morning.  We had one stop we had to make before we could get on our way though:
A trip to Build-A-Bear to get some "moving buddies" for the kids!




 Do you see that cute little guy in the green?  Yep that is my nephew Isaac and this was the first time I got to meet him!  I am pretty sure that I am in love with that little guy!
Then we were officially on the road.  Lucky for me, we had to cross the Hudson River to get onto Interstate 80- which would become our best friend for the next four days. 

Oh, how I love that river, I still can't believe that I was in NY.  Totally makes me want to go back and spend more time there again!
The first night we made it through NY, Pennsylvania, and just barely into Ohio before we decided to call it a night. Here is us having dinner at Burger King somewhere in western PA:

We were on the road bright and early the next morning and we seriously hauled that day!  We went through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and about halfway through Iowa.  That means that we were in 4 different states in one day!  The kids were seriously awesome!  I did not think that we would make it as far as we did but they held up great.  We stayed in Iowa City that night and found a hotel with a pool which was great to get some of the kids' energy out.  Wednesday was another early morning for us.  We made it through Iowa and all of Nebraska, which may not sound like we did as much that day as we did that day before but- holy cow- Nebraska is a big and boring state. If you don't believe me, just take a look for yourself:



 I honestly don't think that I have ever seen so much flat.  It was crazy to look out the window and be able to see all the way to horizon, no mountains or hills or even trees to block it.  
I think the drive was starting to wear on all of us that day but we held up pretty good and actually made it to Cheyenne! Woot!  It felt good to be in somewhat familiar territory.  

Thank goodness for DVD players!  It probably saved our life a couple of times!  Definitely worth the investment!
On Thursday we only had about 8 hours of driving ahead of us so we decided to actually sleep in until 5:30am and stay for the continental breakfast at the hotel (which the kids loved- who would have thought!).  We traveled through Wyoming and crossed the Utah border sometime around 2 Thursday afternoon.  I have never been more excited to see a "Welcome to Utah" sign in my life!  I also don't think that I ever realized just how pretty our mountains here are!  
We made it to my moms house at 3:30 and it felt so good to be out of the car for good!
I also could not wait to see Brad!  This was actually the first time that I have ever left him since we have been married.  He has gone away a few times for scouts and things like that but I have never had to leave him.  I am such a baby and totally started crying at the airport.  But we made it through it and I was so happy to see him!  He is such an awesome hubby for letting me go on this adventure!  

1 comment:

One Happy Heart Family said...

That is so awesome!! I want to go road tripping so bad, just get in the car & go & stop where ever I end up!!! Sounds like fun!! Thanks again for visiting me!!