Monday, February 9, 2009

Reminiscing...

So there hasn't been much exciting going on around here lately. I have mostly spent my days cooped up inside studying. This has left me itching for some sort of an adventure but that is not a possibility right now so instead I have been thinking a lot about a past adventure in my life.

Most everyone knows that I was able to live in NY for a while after high school. This was such an incredible experience for me and I am so glad that I took that oppurtunity in my life because I almost passed it up! I know that I grew so much out there. It really opened my eyes to the world because I was a pretty sheltered mormon girl before I left. My testimony was strengthened so much while I was out there- there were times that it was really hard to be away from family and friends so I had to rely on Heavenly Father a lot to get through it. It was also really neat to not be surrounded by mormons and to have some oppurtunities to share a little bit of the gospel with people out there.
Below I have posted a few pics of some of my favorite memories that I have from my time out there.

Me in Times Square- bet you can't guess why this is one of Brad's favorite pics of me:)

A couple of my freinds, Chritianna and Melissa and I randomly decided to drive up to boston for the weekend- this is us in front of the Boston Temple.


The view out of my bedroom window- the Hudson river and West Point Academy across the way. That was the most incredible view to wake up to every morning.

Me and my girls- Claire and Grace. This was on my last day out there so it was kind of a sad day. They are such cute girls and we had so much fun together.



By far the best part about being out there was being able to spend so much time with my sister Jenny and her family who live out there. She and I grew so close while I was out there and we were able to do so much together. It was so fun being able to spend so much time with her kids as well and I miss them so much. (notice how tan I am in this pic? thanks to having a pool I spent a lot of time in the sun and I think this is the tannest I have ever or will ever be)

These next four pics are of the last summer that I spent in NY. Brad and I had been dating for a few months when I went back out to ny for a couple of months. It was really hard to be away from him for so long but we got by thanks to phone calls and emails. Well one night I was sitting at home watching some tv and my doorbell rang. I almost didn't answer because it was late at night and I was the only one home. Finally I just decided to answer and it was my sister and her family and I couldn't figure out why she came to my house so late so I invite them in and as I am shutting the door Brad pops out from around the corner. He totally surprised me. I had no clue he was coming out. He had been planning it since I left and my parent, the family I lived with and my sister were all in on it. I don't know how he pulled it off but he did. Well we had such a fun weekend together and it was so fun to show him all around ny.

Outside the Manhattan Temple- we were able to go and do baptisms and it was really cool.

The Toys R Us in Times Square- it is huge and has all sorts of neat lego creations! Brad is posing in front of the Lego Statue of Liberty!

Brad and I in Central Park!

Us on the subway!

6 comments:

Jenny and Brett said...

Oh Darci, What a lovely thing to reminisce about. I miss having you out here sooooooo bad. No family around really, really sucks. I miss those days. As much as I love NY, family is just so much better. I wish I could be around everyone. I was fun to look at your pics.

Carly said...

This makes me want to go to NY even more! What a sweet guy to surprise you by going out there. I bet you were thrilled.

Jenn said...

Those are such fun pictures! You look great in them all, as usual! I am so jealous that you've lived out there! I want to go to NY so badly!

Rachel McKinnie said...

What a cute post Darc! Haha. I almost thought that was someone else in the super tan picture...hehehe. I've never seen you so tan. Oh, about the times square pic...I didn't know Brad liked Coronas ;)
kidding, kidding :D

One Happy Heart Family said...

Oh my how FUN! I have always wanted to go to NY, just to see how "life" is there. I can't imagine all of the huge buildings. I think little SLC has tall buildings but would probably be dazed at the NY ones. I am glad you live here now or we would be friends. Hope you guys are doing great.

christianna said...

friend!! oh, my goodness, i am so happy you posted this! brings back so many memories ... man, i need to go look through my pictures again.
that trip to boston was so much fun. i think about it often.
wish i could see you more often. i hope you are well. it's been too long!